Talitha Koum is most grateful to have volunteer participants, some with regularly scheduled participation and others who offer on-call availability for special purposes.
Orientation: We encourage all volunteers to attend an Orientation, yet it is only required for those who will directly engage with our children or parents. Registration is required for orientations. To inquire about upcoming dates or to let us know you will attend, please call Marge Dawson at 254-753-1144 or email CPhillips@TalithaKoum.org. Please bring $2 cash to the orientation to cover the cost of the criminal background check required by our license. We look forward to sharing our joy and hope!
Talitha Koum means, “My child, rise up!” It’s a tall order to elevate the lives of children from deepest poverty. For Talitha Koum to RISE, we need a host of committed devotees and friends ~ community members who come alongside – effectively.
- No meetings! Just opportunities to help. We’ll notify you of a need and if you respond, we’ll know you’re coming to Talitha Koum’s aid.
- Whether than means you write thank you notes to donors, answer phones for a couple of hours, repair a broken door, volunteer to prep a mailing, sterilize our toys, mow the lawn, request hand-me-downs for our parents’ Pick a Gift closet, recommend us for a speaking engagement, or offer a unique talent we can’t even name ~ that’s when Talitha Koum will RISE!
- We are seeking men and women of prayer and action. What about you? Let us know of your interest here.
- Prepare or purchase our dinner for Parenting Meeting. Most months of the year that means also preparing the meal for children. We meet weekly with parents on Tuesday between 6 and 7 in the evening. Childcare is provided by a Baylor Psychology class who facilitate children as they eat a simply prepared meal. If you or your class or group might wish to participate, please call Marge Dawson at 753-1144 for more information.
- Sign up to be contacted and join us for quarterly work sessions where we pitch in on building and grounds upkeep.
- Introduce us to new groups (church, civic, fraternal, and family) by arranging for a speaking opportunity for one of our staff or Mission Group members. Let us know if AV equipment is available.
- Classroom Volunteering: Because Talitha Koum is a therapeutic center, if you wish to volunteer among our children, we ask that you commit at least two hours per week at a specified time (or two) so that our children have a chance to get to know you. We realize there will be times that you need to be out of town or are otherwise engaged. We only ask that you let us know in advance that you will be absent.
Pick a Gift
- Each Tuesday night when Parenting Meetings are held, an array of Pick a Gift items are displayed so that parents leave with some food and clothing for the family as well as small gift items, on occasion, for Moms and Dads. We need help with weekly display and cleanup. Displaying items can take place Monday and/or Tuesday so long as the display is ready by 6:00 p.m. each Tuesday.
- Help rearrange and clean out our Pick a Gift closet (needed quarterly and taking several people several hours to accomplish).
- Recruit and/or provide Pick a Gift items: lightly used children’s clothes (infants through 14), candles, lotion, bath items, picture frames, little gifts for Moms and Dads.
Mentor a Graduate
- Do you hold an interest in seeing these children continue to excel until they wear a cap and gown? We need dedicated mentors who take that responsibility for one child with the intention of being present in his or her life until she or he goes to college or into productive employment. Click here to learn more and see some of our mentors in action.
- Volunteers who will work in a classroom must attend a Volunteer Orientation prior to volunteering and we would like for all volunteers in any capacity to do so. Please contact Talitha Koum’s Assistant Director, Cody Phillips by email:Cphillips@talithakoum.org or by calling 753-1144.
Learn more about our Nurture Center, therapeutic methods, and early childhood curriculum by taking a tour with our executive director Susan Cowley.
Tours can be requested throughout the week though for a more interactive experience we recommend a “Breakfast and Briefing” tour- a morning tour which offers our visitors a first hand look into our classrooms as well as a Q&A time over coffee and pastries.
If you, or your group, are interested in touring our center please email Susan- firstname.lastname@example.org
We need your financial support!
Whether you make a donation or fulfill a wish list item, you are fueling Talitha Koum’s brain development program that is much in need of your gifts. Visit the online opportunities shown below, or contact us at 254-753-1144.
||Sponsor a child’s path out of poverty!
Support Talitha Koum Monthly
You can give to Talitha Koum monthly
|Talitha Koum is one of CrossTies Ministries, a 501(c)(3) charitable organization. All donations are tax deductible to the full extent of the law. Thank you for your support!|